- Go to Course Tools and select Groups from the drop-down list.
- To set up your groups, click on New Category.
- Give the group Category a meaningful name, e.g. ‘Assignment 1 Groups’. Include an optional description that will be visible to the students.
- Select which Type of Enrollment you would like to use.
Enrollment type options:
- # of Groups – No Auto Enrollments– set the number of groups, and the instructor will manually assign students
- Groups of #– set the group capacity, i.e. “groups of 4”
- # of Groups– set a group limit, i.e. “7 groups total”
- Groups of # – Self Enrollment– set the group capacity and allow students to self-enroll
- # of Groups, Capacity of # – Self Enrolloment – set the group capacity and number of groups, and allow students to self-enroll
- Single user, member-specific groups– set up groups of 1
*Depending on which type of Enrollment you chose, you will have fields to fill in regarding number of groups, number of users, and other enrollment-related options.
- Decide which optional Additional Options you would like:
- Set up Discussion areas– This will set up a Discussion Item that only group members can use. The instructor can also view and participate in the discussion.
- Set up lockers– Group lockers are restricted locker areas where members of a group can share files. Any group member can modify files posted in group locker areas. Students can also access their lockers when submitting an assignment.
- Set up assignment submission folders (not recommended)– This allows you to immediately create an Assignment that will be associated with these groups. This assignment will allow a group submission. You can also create a group assignment later following these instructions.
- Click Save.
NOTE: You will see your groups on the Groups page. If you have selected the # of Groups – No Auto Enrollments enrolment type, select a group from the list followed by ‘Enrol Users’. Add the relevant students to each of the groups.
NOTE: Now when you create your assignment, you can select the ‘Group Assignment’ option under the ‘Submission and Completion’ tab.